About IEEE 802.3ab 1000Base-T TCM encoding

cianfa72
TL;DR Summary
About some clarification on Trellis Coded Modulation (TCM) employed in IEEE 802.3ab 1000BASE-T standard
Hi, I would like to discuss some details about the Trellis Coded Modulation (TCM) used on 1000BASE-T 802.3ab Gigabitethernet IEEE standard.

Is this the right place to do that ? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cianfa72 said:
Is this the right place to do that ?
Yes, it's a good place to start. If needed later, we can move the thread elsewhere.

Starting from this link, it isn't clear to me whether IDLE is one of the symbol sent or is actually a state of the Convolutional encoder employed in 1000BASE-T.

Ethernet_and_PHY-Trellis_2.drawio.png

The above picture from that link shows a 2-stage Trellis of the Convolutional encoder where the triplets in blue circles are the states and each of the arcs/edges represents an encoder's output symbol for a specific binary input (i.e. this encoder has 8 states and 2 binary inputs).

My question is: what is IDLE (000) ? Is it a state or is it a specific output symbol ? The doubt arises from the following statement:
When there is no data, IDLE (000) is sent. To make IDLE easily detectable, it has its own symbol, and the convolutional decoder is reset on IDLE.

Last edited:
Nobody ? Thanks.